Start Your State Course:
Recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, approved by NASBLA and your state boating license agency.
Here's how to get started or return to your course:
We launched a completely new platform for our free online course on 11/18/2020!
Our old course system is officially retired but if you need to access your certificate of completion, you can request a copy through this form
For a brief tutorial on getting started in the new system or to contact us, click here.
Returning User? (new system)
Please log in above.
Complete the Course in Three Easy Steps:
Enroll yourself in a Boating Safety Course from the Course Catalog
Study and pass the FREE Boating Safety Course.
Print out your certificate of completion yourself for free
Get Started Today! Start Now →
Ohio requires persons born on or after January 1, 1982 operating a power craft greater than 10 hp to take a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boating course or pass a proficiency exam approved by the Division of Watercraft.
Boaters who are required to possess a boating education certificate shall present it to the law enforcement within 72 hours of being stopped.
Except as provided, no person under 16 shall operate at PWC. Individuals not less than 12, nor more than 15 years of age may operate a PWC only if an adult supervisor of at least 18 years of age and in possession of an approved boating education certificate if born on or after January 1, 1982, is aboard the craft.
Persons under 12 years of age:
- May not operate a personal watercraft
- Shall not operate any vessel unless under the direct visual and audible supervision of a person who is 18 years of age or older
- Shall not operate any other powercraft greater than 10 hp unless under the direct visual and audible supervision of a person who is 18 years of age or older who is aboard the powercraft (excluding PWCs)
- If the supervising person was born after January 1, 1982, they must possess an approved boating education certificate as defined above
No rental business shall lease or rent a powercraft greater than 10 hp to a person born on or after January 1, 1982 unless they sign a statement that they have completed an approved Division of Watercraft course or proficiency exam. As an alternative, the rental business may provide education materials and administer an exam which the boater must pass with a score of 90% or better. Boaters choosing this option must take the exam offered by the rental agency each time they rent a boat.
How Do I Get My Ohio Certificate?
1. After you complete the course you will be issued a printable copy of your certificate that you can print yourself and use immediately.
2. Your scores will automatically be sent to the Ohio Division of Parks and Watercraft and they will issue you a free boating safety card. The card will take 3-4 weeks to arrive
Complete the Course at Your Own Pace
Choose when and where to take your course.
In our new online learning system, take it on any device with an internet connection and automatically have your progress saved when the window is closed.*
Get Started Now →
Online Course Video:
Great course, and so much more convenient than going at night for several nights... Keep up the great work, and see you on the water.Gene
Thank you so much! This was a great course and I learned so much. Hope you have a great weekend!Lindsay
Thank you. The information that you gave me allowed me to complete the course. Your assistance was very much appreciated.D. White
Thank you so much! You folks are so kind. Good luck with the updates and have safe boating fun this summer!Brennan
How to Use GPS
Are you new to electronics on your boat or uncomfortable with the operation of the electronics that you have? We can help!
Get Started Now!
Modern Marine Navigation
Learn the basics of plotting, reading charts, identifying ATONs and using them to find your way on the water.
Get Started Now!