How to Build a Monofilament Recycle Bin
Reel In & Recycle Program
Building and monitoring a fishing line recycling bin is one of the best things you can do to protect your favorite fishing spot. Follow the instructions below to learn how to do so.
The first step in building your own fishing line recycling bin is to gather all of the materials you’ll need to get the job done. To complete this project, you will need:
- 2ft. section of 4 in or 6-inch PVC pipe
- 1 PVC elbow
- 1 PVC female threaded adapter
- 1 PVC threaded plug
- Power Drill
- Decals and signs
You should be able to purchase most of these items from a local hardware or plumbing supply store. However, you may need to order the sections of 6-inch PVC pipe yourself, as some hardware stores won’t carry PVC at this diameter.
Be sure to visit our store to purchase the decals and signs needed to complete your fishing line recycling bin. You can receive your first 5 decals for free
Step-by-Step Instructions for Building a Fishing Line Recycling Bin
Once you’ve gathered all of the necessary supplies, you’re ready to get started. Here’s how to do it.
- Attach the threaded adapter to the 6-inch PVC pipe. Use a thin bead of adhesive to do this. Then, tap the pipe on the ground or another hard surface to ensure a snug fit.
- Fit the elbow on the pipe by using adhesive that’s been placed onto a brush. Once again, tap the elbow on a hard surface to ensure a snug fit.
- 3. Screw the threaded cap onto the adaptor. You can use your hands to do this. Once finished, drill a small drainage hole so that any excess water is able to drain from the bin.
- Apply the decals to the bin.
- Secure the metal sign near the bin.
Building your own fishing line recycling bin is as easy as that. Check out the video on this page to get a closer look at the process.