Start Your State Course:
Recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, approved by NASBLA and your state boating license agency.
Here's how to get started or return to your course:
We launched a completely new platform for our free online course on 11/18/2020!
Our old course system is officially retired but if you need to access your certificate of completion, you can request a copy through this form
For a brief tutorial on getting started in the new system or to contact us, click here.
Returning User? (new system)
Please log in above.
Complete the Course in Three Easy Steps:
Enroll yourself in a Boating Safety Course from the Course Catalog
Study and pass the FREE Boating Safety Course.
Print out your certificate of completion yourself for free
Get Started Today! Start Now →
In North Dakota, all motorboat operators born aged 12-15 must take and pass a boating safety course approved by the Game & Fish Department.
No person aged 12 through 15 may operate a motorboat (includes personal watercraft) propelled by over a 10 hp motor unless the operator is accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older or the operator has taken and passed a boating safety course approved by the Game & Fish Department.
For persons new to boating or who wish to take a refresher course, the game and fish department offers the North Dakota Boating Basics course. There is no charge for this home-study course and your insurance company may offer you a discount on your premium. The course is intended for persons at least 11 1/2 years of age. To order a free Boating Basics course through the mail, contact Nancy Boldt, North Dakota Game and Fish Department, 100 N. Bismarck Expressway, Bismarck, ND 58501-5095, call 701-328-6312.
Once an approved course recognized by the North Dakota Fish & Game Department has been successfully completed, you will receive a Boater Education Graduate Card issued by the Department; this is proof of education for those required to enroll and pass a boating safety course and is the only card recognized by game wardens.
For more information, visit the Fish & Game Department's website, http://gf.nd.gov/boating.
How Do I Get My North Dakota Certificate?
After you complete the course you will be issued a paper copy of your Certificate of Completion. This certificate can be used immediatly after you complete the course.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Below are some common questions asked about our FREE boating safety course.
- How much does the course cost?
The BoatU.S. Foundation is a free NASBLA approved course. When you finish, you can print your certificate on your own printer or order a printed paper certificate($8) or plastic card($13) for a fee. Some states will charge additional fees to issue you a permanent state ID verifying completion of a boating safety course. Be sure to read your state's Mandatory Eduation Requirements for more information.
- How do I print my certificate?
Instructions for Users With a Printer:
- Once you have completed all included lessons for a course you will be awarded a certificate of completion (if applicable) which you can print yourself from your My Account screen. It will appear on the left under the calendar as shown in the image (Figure A) above.
- Click on your state name to bring up your printing options (Figure B). To print a paper copy of your certificate click "Print Certificate".
- After you choose "Print Certificate", a separate window will pop-up and you may briefly see the certificate before it moves off screen and your print dialog appears. Then select your printer from the list and click OK. Do not assume that your certificate won't print just because you can't see it.
- How long is my certificate valid?
Your boating safety certificate will never expire. It is valid for life.
- I took the course a while ago, how do I re-print my certificate?
If you took the course prior to August 1, 2010, to re-print your certificate at any time, follow these steps:
- Click on the course you originally took below. (If you cannot remember which course you took please call us at 800-245-2628)
- Enter you email address and first name (make sure you enter the email you used when you registered with the course originally).
- Click Get Previous Certificate and follow the prompts
If you took the course after August 1, 2010, to re-print your certificate at any time, follow these steps:
To view the complete list of questions visit:
Need Help? Contact us!
Most Questions Can Be Answered Through Our FAQs Page.
Call or Email the BoatUS Foundation about our boating safety course or about course questions.
Feel free to call or email if you ever need help while you are taking the course.
Send an email to SmartBoating@BoatUS.com
Or call us Toll Free at 1-800-245-2628
Mon - Fri: 9AM - 5PM Eastern Time
Complete the Course at Your Own Pace
Choose when and where to take your course.
In our new online learning system, take it on any device with an internet connection and automatically have your progress saved when the window is closed.*
Get Started Now →
Online Course Video:
Great course, and so much more convenient than going at night for several nights... Keep up the great work, and see you on the water.Gene
Thank you so much! This was a great course and I learned so much. Hope you have a great weekend!Lindsay
Thank you. The information that you gave me allowed me to complete the course. Your assistance was very much appreciated.D. White
Thank you so much! You folks are so kind. Good luck with the updates and have safe boating fun this summer!Brennan
How to Use GPS
Are you new to electronics on your boat or uncomfortable with the operation of the electronics that you have? We can help!
Get Started Now!
Modern Marine Navigation
Learn the basics of plotting, reading charts, identifying ATONs and using them to find your way on the water.
Get Started Now!