The BoatUS Foundation's Online Course is NOT Approved by the Arkansas Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to satisfy the mandatory education requirements for boaters and PWC operators.
Arkansas game and fish commission requires anyone born on or after 1/1/1986 to have a boating education certificate from an approved Arkansas Game & fish commission safe boating course or an equivalent certificate issued by another state from a boating education course that is approved by NASBLA.
OOnline boating safety courses and certificates obtained from online courses, such as the one offered by the BoatU.S. Foundation, are NOT recognized by the Arkansas Game & fish commissions and on-water enforcement officers.
Boaters must appear at a Department of Public Safety Driver’s Examining Office and take a boater’s safety exam which includes questions on rules of the road, safety equipment, waterways marking system and other applicable boating laws.
Boaters may also receive a certification of examination exemption by presenting a course completion certificate from an approved course such as those given by the U.S. Power Squadrons, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, or the Arkansas Marine Police Division.
All applications for certification of examination or certification of examination exemption must be presented to the Department of Public Safety Driver’s License Examining Office in your county of residence. Your driver’s license will then be updated with a "V" endorsement, indicating that you have earned your Arkansas Boater Safety Certification. The certificate will be renewed at no charge every four years when your driver’s license is renewed. If you do no have an automobile driver’s license, you will be issued a “Vessel Only” license.
Not all courses (including the BoatU.S. Foundation for Boating Safety Course) are accepted for certification.
This certificate of completion is not NASBLA nor state approved and will not entitle boaters and PWC operators to operate on the waters of Arkansas.
Out-of-state visiting from another state should check with Arkansas law to determine requirements for operator age, supervision and the maximum allowable length of visit.
For more information from the state on boating laws, visit: www.agfc.com
Frequently Asked Questions:
Below are some common questions asked about our FREE boating safety course.
- How much does the course cost?
The BoatU.S. Foundation is a free NASBLA approved course. When you finish, you can print your certificate on your own printer or order a printed paper certificate($8) or plastic card($13) for a fee. Some states will charge additional fees to issue you a permanent state ID verifying completion of a boating safety course. Be sure to read your state's Mandatory Eduation Requirements for more information.
- How do I print my certificate?
Instructions for Users With a Printer:
- Once you have completed all included lessons for a course you will be awarded a certificate of completion (if applicable) which you can print yourself from your My Account screen. It will appear on the left under the calendar as shown in the image (Figure A) above.
- Click on your state name to bring up your printing options (Figure B). To print a paper copy of your certificate click "Print Certificate".
- After you choose "Print Certificate", a separate window will pop-up and you may briefly see the certificate before it moves off screen and your print dialog appears. Then select your printer from the list and click OK. Do not assume that your certificate won't print just because you can't see it.
- How long is my certificate valid?
Your boating safety certificate will never expire. It is valid for life.
- I took the course a while ago, how do I re-print my certificate?
If you took the course prior to August 1, 2010, to re-print your certificate at any time, follow these steps:
- Click on the course you originally took below. (If you cannot remember which course you took please call us at 800-245-2628)
- Enter you email address and first name (make sure you enter the email you used when you registered with the course originally).
- Click Get Previous Certificate and follow the prompts
General Boating Safety Course | PWC Safety Course | Oregon Boating Safety Course
If you took the course after August 1, 2010, to re-print your certificate at any time, follow these steps:
To view the complete list of questions visit:
Need Help? Contact us!
Most Questions Can Be Answered Through Our FAQs Page.
Call or Email the BoatUS Foundation about our boating safety course or about course questions.
Feel free to call or email if you ever need help while you are taking the course.
Send an email to SmartBoating@BoatUS.com
Or call us Toll Free at 1-800-245-2628
Mon - Fri: 9AM - 5PM Eastern Time
Online Course Video:
Great course, and so much more convenient than going at night for several nights... Keep up the great work, and see you on the water.Gene
Thank you so much! This was a great course and I learned so much. Hope you have a great weekend!Lindsay
Thank you. The information that you gave me allowed me to complete the course. Your assistance was very much appreciated.D. White
Thank you so much! You folks are so kind. Good luck with the updates and have safe boating fun this summer!Brennan
New Specialized CoursesFull Course List →
How to Use GPS
Are you new to electronics on your boat or uncomfortable with the operation of the electronics that you have? We can help!
Get Started Now!
Modern Marine Navigation
Learn the basics of plotting, reading charts, identifying ATONs and using them to find your way on the water.
Get Started Now!