Recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, approved by NASBLA and your state boating license agency.
Here's how to get started or return to your course:
We launched a completely new platform for our free online course on 11/18/2020!
Our old course system is officially retired but if you need to access your certificate of completion, you can request a copy through this form
For a brief tutorial on getting started in the new system or to contact us, click here.
Returning User? (new system)
Please log in above.
Complete the Course in Three Easy Steps:
Enroll yourself in a Boating Safety Course from the Course Catalog
Study and pass the FREE Boating Safety Course.
Print out your certificate of completion yourself for free
Get Started Today! Start Now →
In West Virginia, all persons born after December 31, 1986 must complete a boating education course before operating a motorboat or personal watercraft.
- No one under 15 years of age may operate a watercraft in West Virginia except those children aged 12 to 15 that are operating under the direct supervision of an adult
- If a child aged 12-15 is operating a boat with a motor of less than 10 horsepower (hp), then direct adult supervision is not required
- No one under that age of 12 may operate a watercraft
Personal Watercraft (PWC):
- Children aged 12 to 15 may operate personal watercraft, only if under the direct supervision of an adult
- Youth 16 and older may operate a PWC without supervision, provided they have met the education requirements above
- A person must be 18 years of age or older to rent a PWC
All persons born after December 31, 1986 must complete a boating education course before operating a motorboat or personal watercraft in West Virginia. These operators shall show the certificate on demand of any West Virginia Conservation Officer or other law enforcement officer authorized to enforce West Virginia boating laws. The certificate must have been obtained by satisfactorily completing a course of instruction in boating safety education approved by the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources or by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). The BoatU.S. Boating Safety Certificate is recognized by West Virginia, NASBLA and the U.S. Coast Guard.
How Do I Get My West Virginia Certificate?
1. After you complete the course you will be issued a printable copy of your certificate that you can print yourself and use immediately.
2. You will also have the option of ordering a West Virginia Division of Natural Resources approved, waterproof plastic card for $13. Please allow 2-3 weeks for your card to arrive.
Complete the Course at Your Own Pace
Choose when and where to take your course.
In our new online learning system, take it on any device with an internet connection and automatically have your progress saved when the window is closed.*
Get Started Now →
Online Course Video:
Great course, and so much more convenient than going at night for several nights... Keep up the great work, and see you on the water.Gene
Thank you so much! This was a great course and I learned so much. Hope you have a great weekend!Lindsay
Thank you. The information that you gave me allowed me to complete the course. Your assistance was very much appreciated.D. White
Thank you so much! You folks are so kind. Good luck with the updates and have safe boating fun this summer!Brennan
How to Use GPS
Are you new to electronics on your boat or uncomfortable with the operation of the electronics that you have? We can help!
Get Started Now!
Modern Marine Navigation
Learn the basics of plotting, reading charts, identifying ATONs and using them to find your way on the water.
Get Started Now!