Let's Get Started! I want to...
The BoatUS Foundation's Online Course is the only FREE Online Boating Safety Course approved by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.Register Today
Recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, approved by NASBLA and your state boating license agency.
How To Get Started:
First, Click Education Requirements above to verify state requirements and then click Certificate/Card Info to learn what options are available for your state.
For a brief tutorial and getting familiar with our new system click here.
Any person born on or after January 1, 1988 must successfully complete a NASBLA approved boating education course before operating any vessel propelled by a motor of 10 HP or greater.
North Carolina has the following restrictions for the operators of personal watercraft:
- No person under 14 years of age may operate a PWC.
- A person at least 14 years of age but younger than 16 years of age may operate a PWC in public waters if they are accompanied by a person at least 18 years of age who is in compliance with the state's boating education requirements, or the person possesses ID with proof of age and boating safety certification or card indicating the satisfactory completion of a NASBLA boating safety education course.
- A person 16 years of age or older must comply with the mandatory boater education requirements for all vessels of 10 HP or greater before operating a PWC.
- The owner of a PWC must not knowingly allow a child under the age of 16 operate their craft except as provided above.
Those who possess a U.S. Coast Guard operator's license, temporary operator's certificate, renter's or lease agreement, or are a resident of another state or country operating on the waters of North Carolina for less than 90 days are exempt from the education requirement.
How Do I Get My Certificate?
1. After you complete the course you will be issued a printable copy of your certificate that you can print yourself and use immediately.
2. You will also have the option of ordering a North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission approved, waterproof plastic card for $15. Please allow 2-3 weeks for your card to arrive.
Complete the Course in Three Easy Steps:
Enroll yourself in a Boating Safety Course from the Course Catalog
Study and pass the FREE Boating Safety Course.
Print out your certificate of completion yourself for free
Get Started Today! Start Now →
4 - 8 Hours
Estimated Course Time
Each Contains a 10 Question Quiz
60 Questions Pulled Randomly
Complete the Course at Your Own Pace
Choose when and where to take your course.
In our new online learning system, take it on any device with an internet connection and automatically have your progress saved when the window is closed.*
*You must be registed in our new system at courses.boatus.org and not have previously registered or started at elearning.boatus.org.
Get Started Now →
Online Course Video:
Great course, and so much more convenient than going at night for several nights... Keep up the great work, and see you on the water.Gene
Thank you so much! This was a great course and I learned so much. Hope you have a great weekend!Lindsay
Thank you. The information that you gave me allowed me to complete the course. Your assistance was very much appreciated.D. White
Thank you so much! You folks are so kind. Good luck with the updates and have safe boating fun this summer!Brennan